The E.M.P.O.W.E.R. program runs from September to May and has been offered in the summer due to grant funding from the Rutgers Community Health Foundation since 2016.
This college mentoring program offers high school students the opportunity to work alongside peers and college students, receive tutoring and guidance in how to best transition to college and volunteer in supervised community events. The program is open to students in HS, any grade level. All are considered based on motivation to participate. regardless of grades or legal status.
Students wishing to enroll in a college class must meet the qualifications, including an application requiring approval from their HS Counselor and parent/guardian at least 2 weeks before the start of the semester.
- Educational workshops: career exploration, time management, study skills, financial literacy, stress management
- FREE college classes (by selection, requires parent/guardian and high school counselor recommendation)
- FREE tutoring from college mentors
- Peer mentoring on high school-to-college transition
Explore highlights from the E.M.P.O.W.E.R. Program, featuring the work and accomplishments of our E.M.P.O.W.E.R. scholars, past and present.
- Engagement with E.M.P.O.W.E.R. staff a minimum of four hours per week, via workshops or tutoring
- Successful completion of college class (if selected)
- Fall and spring community service hours
- Improvement in high school grades as evidenced by transcripts
- Middlesex College application and completion of FAFSA or alternate FAFSA application
All students, new and returning, are required to submit the E.M.P.O.W.E.R. Application and email high school transcripts. Any student who is interested and selected to take a college course, must complete the High School Scholars (HSS) Application.
An in person or virtual interview with the HS to College Transition Coordinator is part of the selection process. Past participants are encouraged to re-apply. For questions, please contact Erin Daniels at EDaniels@middlesexcc.edu.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org and leave your contact information. Someone will call you within 48 hours.